For Laura & Joyce who have never experienced the tummy filling goodness of Tater Tot Casserole...
2 1bs. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
salt & pepper
sliced mushrooms (chopped if you're trying to hide them from toddlers)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 package Tater Tots
Brown ground beef, onions & mushrooms in skillet. Season with S & P to taste. Drain off excess liquid.
Spread ground beef mixture into a lightly greased 9x12 casserole dish.
Add layer of corn.
Cover with undiluted soup.
Sprinkle cheese on top.
Cover completely with Tater Tots. (Kyla is a big help with this part)
Bake in 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until soup is bubbling, cheese is melted and Taters are lightly browned.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
I halved this recipe for Kyla & me and we got 2+ meals out of it. Depending on how many and how big of eaters you have, this may work for you, too. If you like something a little more basic, you can omit the veggies. I like to incorporate as many vegetables in as possible, though. This week I had half a zucchini and finely chopped it and added it when I browned the meat. Kyla was none the wiser.
If your family likes green beans or peas I think they would be an excellent addition. Jedd has an aversion to most legumes, sadly. And I think if I added beans or peas, he would most certainly revolt.
one satisfied toddler!
6 comments:
Sounds yummy!
I made this tonight and we loved it! I am sure I will be making it again:)
Kara - glad you enjoyed it! It's on our regular rotation, too.
Darn it! The name alone had me. The ground beef lost me. I'm going a searchin' for a tater tot veggie version. I must have a tot casserole! Yum!!
Laura, maybe you could do green beans on the bottom layer. They would pair nicely with the mushrooms, onions & mushroom soup. You could add a little rice or other grain, for some added substance?
I like the idea! Might try it. I found a few veggie recipes, but none had such pretty, tasty pictures like yours. I like to pretend it doesn't have ground beef. Wa ha ha!
Post a Comment