Picture copy disable

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Update

So, I was pretty sure that my next post would be a fun update of life with 2 kids and lots of pictures of our tiny baby. And although there is much to report on, other circumstances have kind of taken center stage over the past few days.

I am back in the hospital... again... for the THIRD time. Thursday I bled a lot and passed a large blood clot. After waiting 2 hours to get a call back from the on-call dr. we were told to go into the ER. They took blood samples and did a pelvic exam and determined that I should take it easy and let them know if anything else unusual occurred.

Then yesterday (Saturday) early morning (about 4am) I felt extremely cold. I got an extra blanket. I was still freezing and got another blanket. 2 hours later I was still shaking I was so cold. I took my temp and it was 103.7. We took another one and it said 104. I told Jedd to call 911.

They sent an aid car and we spent 10 hours in the ER and I went through 5 IV bags, another pelvic exam, a CT scan and more blood tests. Between the CT scan & pelvic exam, they determined that I probably had some residual placenta or a blood clot that was infected. They suggested a D&C to clear it out. The problem was that usually these infections present just a few days after delivery when the uterus is still firm. Since it had been so long (15 days), my uterus was inflamed and tender and there was a risk of tearing the uterus during the procedure. And if that happens they have to cut me open to repair the damage.

So we talked with the dr. and the D&C was his recommendation so that's what I did. It seems that it went well and the dr. talked to Jedd while I was in the recovery room and confirmed that there was some placenta still in there that was infected. So hopefully all is well now... I am sooooo tired of hospitals.

My parents and Jedd's mom have been staying at our house with Kyla and Maxx and have been a HUGE help during all of this. Jedd has been making trips back and forth. And the staff at Providence Everett have been terrific.

So I'm here until at least 5pm tomorrow so they can monitor my recovery. My temp is still a little above normal and my blood pressure is low and they want to make sure I heal properly from the operation.

If all goes well, the next post will contain cute anecdotal stories of the kids and adorable pictures!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim-
I hope you get better soon! That is scary! If you have a nurse Tanya say hi, that is Travis' sister.

Two brothers said...

I'm so glad to hear they think everything will be fine. I wanted to call again today to see how you were but I deleted your message with Jedd's cell #. Please continue to keep me updated. We're thinking of you!

Laura said...

Oh drats, no fun. Why cant these cute little bundles of joy be delivered like in the movies - a surprise water break, grueling yet wondrous delivery, then everything is peaches and cream afterward?! Hope you feel better soon.

The Loidhamer Family said...

Get well soon!

The Johnsons said...

Wow Kim! Let me know if I can help. I am so sorry you are having such a miserable recovery. I have never heard of someone going through all of this before.

Chria said...

I'm thinking of you! Hope you get out of there ASAP, hospitals are the pits!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Hopefully things will settle down a little and you can take more time to enjoy that baby!