Picture copy disable

Friday, October 05, 2012

Life

Wow, the new school year has hit with full force!  The kids are at Cornerstone again this year and are we ever busy.

Kyla's in full day Kindergarten and it is a long day.  School starts at 8:15am.  That is ear-ly for the kids and I, who had gotten used to sleeping in until 8 or 9, during our "no schedule" summer of fun.  The first two weeks were really tough on Kyla and for a brief moment, I thought we had really made the wrong choice for all day Kindergarten.  She is still pretty exhausted by the end of the week, but the crazed tantrums, excessive crying, and general bad attitude have subsided.  Phew!  Kyla is taking hula (occasionally) and we are hoping to join a Daisy Group (early Girl Scouts) soon.  She tells me she wants to take swim lessons and said she would be willing to do soccer again.  She's our little go-getter, social butterfly.  I am reluctant, however, to get her involved in too many activities.


Kyla's Kindergarten field trip to the Center for Wooden Boats


Maxx is in preschool 2 days a week and I am able to drop him off at the same time as Kyla, even though his class doesn't start until 9am.  (Thank goodness, otherwise I'd have 45 minutes to kill - not long enough to really get anything done.)  We've only had a couple days of tears at drop off, but they were short-lived.  He has the same teacher as last year and several of the same classmates are there again, also.  Maxx is my little homebody and would be content to play cars or Legos or games, watch TV or play an electronic device all day.  Just in the past month or so, he has become very interested in having us play interactively with him: Legos, cars, kitchen, make believe games.  It is fun to see his personality develop and change dramatically at this age.


Maxx's Preschool field trip to Kelsey Creek Farms


Jedd continues to work long hours.  He is up and gone, long before our early morning even begins to think about starting.  Fortunately, with his early mornings, he is able to come home at a semi-normal time in the evening.  Which is really good, now that school has started, since the kids are having to go to bed much earlier.

I am still trying to get with the school routine.  It's a huge adjustment, having to pack more than one lunch at night, getting myself up early enough to be ready and semi-coherent so that I can then get the kids up and dressed and fed and out the door with their lunches, homework, show-and-share, etc. and get to school on time (all with minimal tantrums, tears or whining).  This year I have 2 classrooms to volunteer in and I have agreed to help with procurement for the annual school auction.  I am helping with MOPs crafts again and while it is fun and creative, it also means one more project to manage.  And I'd like to get a little workout in, here or there.  My friend, Katie, informed me of drop-in zumba classes at the Boys & Girls club, so I will be (hopefully) trying to squeeze that in, occasionally, as well.

Last weekend, Jedd and I got a chance to escape for an afternoon and evening at the Seattle waterfront to celebrate his recent promotion.  Grandma Kay and Papa watched the kids at their house, where they watched some construction equipment; went on a hike; visited some neighbors; and played dominoes.  Meanwhile, we rode the Seattle Great Wheel, strolled around the market, enjoyed afternoon coffee and delicious pastries, did a little shopping and ended the evening with a long dinner at Elliott's on the waterfront.  We then returned and spent the night at G'ma Kay & Papa's house, where the kids were soundly sleeping after their day of fun.

Date Night!


We're headlong into a full and busy school year!  So far, I'm really excited about all that we have going on.  I'm just hoping that once the excitement and newness of it all wears off, I am not left feeling overwhelmed and bogged down.  Gotta keep up the momentum!


No comments: