I love seeing things and thinking to myself, "I could do that!"
I love being able to proudly say, "I made that!"
I love giving a good friend something made by my own hands.
I love all those pretty little pieces (beads, ribbon, pens, glue, deely-bobs).
I love the excitement of starting a new project.
Then I falter.
My perfectionist nature paralyzes me from committing.
I get bored with the repetition of the steps.
My lack of follow through prevents me from finishing a project.
In my perfect world I would be an artiste. Alas, my downfall, aside from the perfectionism, is that I am not independently creative. I am great at imitating a creative idea and sometimes even putting a newer creative spin on it. However, left to my own creativity, I am at an impasse. Can one learn to be creative?
My perfectionist nature and lack of creativity do not stop me from dreaming of creating artistic masterpieces. I try to choose my projects carefully, knowing my true nature. Some projects I start, some I do not. Some I even finish!
My last true project:
December 2007 - a Christmas quilt for Megan.
This is the work in progress photo. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the finished product. It actually turned out quite nice.
Jedd suggested I check out this magazine called Craft:, by the same people that publish Make: (a totally geeky DIY technology magazine). Craft: is full of quirky, fun do it yourself crafts. And I love that they have a blog! I find their projects amusing and have even found a couple of ideas that I might like to try. That is, if I can find the motivation to start... and the determination to finish...
3 comments:
I bet Kyla will help you find your craft groove... kids don't need perfection nor much follow through, and they LOVE crafts! That said... I think you should definitely stick with the quilting! You're so talented, and I can't tell you enough how much we love the quilt you made for Clara. :)
I love your honesty about yourself! I have tried to scrapbook Cameron's first year and I have only completed one page! I have a whole bin of scrapbooking materials unopened. Maybe someday. You might like the magazine Family Fun. It has a lot of crafty things to do with your children. See you tomorrow!
Jamie - I do enjoy the quilting.
Rebecca - Maybe we should get together to start/work on/finish our craft projects and leave the kids with the menfolk for a day!
Post a Comment