Wow, January is over! Since feeling like I was behind at the beginning of January, the rest of the month has flown by just as quickly. We are settling back into the swing of things, though. Mornings are still a bit of a rush for us. Not sure if Kyla is going to be a morning sleeper like me or if she's just going through a growing spurt and needing a few more Zs in the morning.
Mid-month, we got snow and had a fun time building forts and a snowman; and attempting to sled down our little hill. Maxx was a little skeptical of the snow at first. But he loved using the snowball maker, which worked out well, since he refused to wear gloves. The snow was a fun distraction from the usual rain and overcast skies that are typical this time of year. After about the 3rd day, however, we were ready for it to start raining again so we could be rid of the snow.
And just this week, we've had beautiful sunny days! Ah, what a difference a little sun makes. Makes me long for spring. Too bad spring is a long way off, still. Hopefully we'll continue to have at least some sunny breaks here and there, amidst the usual rain.
I started my on-line photography course and I love it! I don't think I've ever taken an on-line course before. I was pleasantly surprised at how interactive it is. I am learning so much about how to use my camera (there's a LOT to know!) and the basics of photography that I could never seem to get my head around, previously. I'm a structure kind of gal, though. So a comprehensive course, a lesson plan, assignments, and deadlines are what I need. That's how I learn best, at least in the beginning, for that base knowledge.
So far, I'm getting a handle on some key concepts like Aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Next, I need to figure out how they work together and affect each other. But so far, I'm just really happy that I'm starting to understand! That said, though, my head is swimming with numbers and fractions; camera settings, composition and perspectives; lessons and assignments. And, because of this, I feel a little overloaded with information. But that's okay, because I'm so excited to be learning about our camera and hopefully, when the course is over, I'll be able to take some decent pictures.
Kyla has been taking swim lessons and just loves it. At times, you can see that she has swallowed a little water or gotten a little scare, but as soon as she gets her bearings, she's got the biggest smile on her face. She is going to be a water girl, for sure! Maxx sits on the side, watching, completely content to be a bystander. This could be due to the experience of swimming in Chelan over the New Year. He got a little cold in the pool and then walking back to the condo in freezing weather. He's been a little gun shy anytime we mention the pool recently. This summer, though, we'll get him in there again!
Jedd has been putting in early mornings and late nights at work. And doing his physical therapy for his Achilles. This weekend he is in Whistler, NOT heli-skiing. He decided since he's not completely healed, he shouldn't risk further injuring his heel by going too extreme. So he is just skiing the regular runs at Whistler. Poor guy. I know that he is disappointed about not being able to go heli-skiing, but I'm happy that he showed some restraint.
Maxx is talking so much these days. Sometimes I will tell him that we're not going to have any more talking for a little bit. He doesn't understand or pretends like he doesn't and just keeps jabbering away. He and Kyla play make believe games together where they are secret agents or a family or animal rescue doctors. It is hilarious to hear some of the dialogue. Maxx is also starting to really like school, not just tolerate or accept it. He only goes one day a week, but occasionally on non-school days, will ask if he is going to school, too. And sometimes, when we drop off Kyla, he will request that we say hi to his teacher, Ms. Peggy.
I also notice that he starts shaking his head and bopping around whenever there is music playing. He might turn out to be a dancer, too. His "dancing" consists of somewhat erratic jumps and spins and hops, where he often lands on all fours in a spider-like stance. So while Kyla prefers ballet, I think Maxx's style will be more hip hop, freestyle dance.
And just to add a little excitement to the mix, this week I've dealt with 2 kids fighting croup. I took Kyla to the ER in the middle of the night earlier this week. She's doing fine, now. Just as she was getting over it, Maxx started getting the scratchy sounding throat. I set up the humidifier in his room right away and it didn't seem to hit him as hard. However, that didn't stop him from needing a little extra TLC and several middle of the night visits. We are out of it now, thankfully, and I am looking forward to some more restful nights.
Check out more of our day to day lives on my Flickr 365 Project.







1 comment:
Oh Kim I love reading about your family but I can't read it with the white print and the white background. Can you read it on yours? Can I change the background on my screen?
Post a Comment