Picture copy disable

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Recipes of a SAHM: German Pancake



I was first introduced to the German Pancake at Elmer's restaurant in Lynnwood, by the Alderwood mall.  When I saw it on the menu, I thought lemon was a very odd thing to put on a pancake.  But I saw someone else's order and it looked amazing!  I tried it and was hooked!  It quickly became my "usual" (I am a creature of habit) along with a side of bacon or sausage links, coffee and maybe even some OJ.  Just thinking of it, reminds me of days gone by, when Jedd and I would go out for weekend breakfasts, read the paper or peruse real estate flyers, and take a good hour or two to enjoy a leisurely morning.  Once we moved out of Everett (and had kids), we did not get to Elmer's often.  And sadly, sometime in the last 5 years, Elmer's went out of business.

So, you can imagine my joy upon finding not only a recipe for a German Pancake, but an EASY recipe!  I'm all about simple these days.

This recipe is about the size of the single serving at Elmer's.  It is just about right for Jedd, Kyla and me, along with bacon or sausage on the side.   Once Maxx starts eating table foods, we may have to make two pancakes.


GERMAN PANCAKE
adapted from Parents Magazine, July 2008

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1.5 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

butter
powdered sugar
lemon wedges

Heat oven to 400.  Place butter in 10 or 12 inch oven proof skillet.  When oven is hot, place skillet in oven until butter melts.

While waiting for oven to reach temp, whisk eggs in a bowl.  Add flour, milk, sugar & vanilla.  Whisk until smooth.  Immediately pour batter into hot, melty buttered skillet.  Bake 18-25 minutes or until puffed and browned.  (This is a good time to cook your bacon or sausage.)

Remove from oven.  The pancake will fall in the center as it cools.  Serve immediately with butter, sprinkle with powdered sugar and finish off with a generous squeeze of lemon.

Can also serve with fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries & blueberries are great!) and/or whipped cream.

Original recipe calls for:
  • regular butter - I found this made the edges very salty, which was weird tasting
  • reduced fat milk - we only have whole milk, so that's what I use (obviously anything in between would also work fine)
  • 1/4 tsp salt - added at the same time as dry ingredients (again, too salty for my taste)
  • only 1 Tbsp sugar - I like my batter a little sweeter

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ok- so it's a dutch baby but less eggy... hmmm, I will have to try it. Does it still look like this (the pic is only of a piece): http://vegetarian-hausfrau.blogspot.com/2009/05/dutch-babies-big-pancake.html? Sounds really, really good. Maybe sometime this week I'll motivate myself to have a non-eggo breakfast. :)

PerryBlog said...

Laura, the ratios actually look proportional, so it probably is very similar. Most of the Dutch baby recipes that I've seen call for more eggs. You HAVE to try to the lemon & powdered sugar, though. Outstanding!