Picture copy disable

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Confessions of a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom)


It came to me in the shower! I do all my best thinking in the bathroom. But usually, by the time I can share my inspiration with others, I can no longer recollect the earth-shattering revelation. This time I hopped out of the shower, got dressed and got on the laptop.

"Confessions of a SAHM." This was going to be the title of my new (okay, first) book. Or perhaps a new blog. Then I did a search on it and apparently many, many others have had the same brilliant idea. They have also already come up with "Adventures of a SAHM" (darn it) and "Chronicles of a SAHM" (darn it!) and "Diary of a SAHM" (DARN IT!). I am so un-original...

Oh well, I am still considering starting a new blog to document my SAHM status and cover some very important issues, such as:
  • My various get-rich-at-home-schemes. Writing a book about my SAHM experiences is abruptly and devastatingly off the table. Also considering SAHM Therapy Services - although, I'm guessing that I'd need some sort of license.
  • How we will manage financially on one income.
  • What ever happened to the term housewife? Is it too terrible to say anymore?
  • Keeping perspective. Yes, we are supposed to do everything for our kids - WHAT? Everything? I believe in the saying "Everything in moderation." Let's not forget about ourselves, here! I refuse to be a martyr for society's demented view of parenting.
  • Fun blunders along the way. I mean if I can't laugh at myself, it's not really right to deprive others of the chance to laugh at me.
Rewind: Probably should have posted this part first. I recently got laid off from my job. With the ages that the kids are now, the timing is good for me to be at home. So barring a really awesome job opportunity, I'll be home full time caring for kids, cooking dinners, cleaning the house, scheduling play dates and all the things that stay at home moms do. What do they do?

Sooooo, just as soon as I get organized I'll get to that new blog! (Translation: don't hold your breath.)

5 comments:

Katie said...

Sorry to hear you got laid off... I am very interested in your adventure as a SAHM. I'm hoping that might be in my future at the end of next year but you never know!

Connor Clan said...

How about 'Kim tells all - adventures of a SAHM'?

Anonymous said...

I like "Kim tells all--musings of a SAHM"

The Johnsons said...

Welcome to the SAHM club. Lets plan a playdate!

Laura said...

Kim - SAHMs are BUSY. Busy, busy, busy. Too busy to clean. At least, that's what I say, and so far, Tim believes me. Remember, we dont have to be martyrs!! This ain't 1950.