Picture copy disable

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Time Out

This past weekend we have had to start implementing mini-time outs for Kyla. She is exerting her independence by telling us "No!" when we ask her to do something, such as pick up the food/pens/toys she just threw on the floor. She is pushing her boundaries by not only saying no, but staring us in the eye and continuing to throw items on the floor.

Time out is spent standing in the corner by herself. The first time out, she cried, then she whimpered, then she was quiet. Afterward, she said sorry and picked up her food. On Sunday, Auntie Kristin was over and Kyla started throwing pens on the floor and refused to pick them up.

I said, "Do you need to go stand in the corner by yourself?"

To which she replied (a little too quickly and willingly), "Yeah."

She then walked over to her corner without further prompting. Shocked, I stood watching her, shrugging at Kristin, with what I am sure was a pretty dumb look on my face. At this point I was beginning to wonder whether she understood that standing in the corner is punishment, not a game. About 10 seconds later, Kyla whimpered a bit - maybe she is getting it. After a minute or so, I went to check on her. She was sitting on the floor, leaning forward trying to peek around the corner in anticipation of my arrival.

I explained to her that we don't throw pens on the floor. Then I asked if she was ready to go say sorry to Auntie Kristin and pick up the pens. She said yes and went in and said sorry to Kristin, gave her a hug and a kiss, picked up all the pens and then kissed the floor (in apology for throwing the pens on it, I assume).

3 comments:

lisat said...

Funny.......

Laura said...

Good parenting. I need to remember this story for future!

Need a vacation? said...

Peyton has required a timeout or two or twelve. He earned them by doing similar things and his reactions were exactly the same. The first one he was confused. The next couple he would turn on the tears when he got to the corner and off we he left. Now he giggles to himself and comes running to kiss us when he gets out! It is too cute!