Picture copy disable

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Preserving Peaches

If you read my previous post, you know that I intended on canning peaches.  And I did.  Sort of.  In a small, pathetic way.

I made it to the grocery store and bought canning supplies, came home and realized that perhaps canning with small children around would not be the best idea.  So I waited until the next day when they were napping.

I used the simplest recipe I could find.  I'm all about quick and easy.  This was my first foray into canning and it was much as I expected.  Not completely complicated, but a little heavy on the processing end.
  • Sterilizing jars and lids and keeping them warm
  • Peeling peaches- even the "easy" blanch-cool water bath-peel method takes some time and is quite messy
  • Slicing
  • Boiling the syrup and keeping it warm
  • Packing the jars, adding syrup
  • Wiping the lids, rim and threads
  • Putting the lids & collars on
  • "Processing" them all for 25 minutes in boiling water
Being a newbie at this whole thing, my process was definitely not as streamlined as it could have been.  And I was (and still am) a bit paranoid about inadvertently poisoning our family.  Each thing I did, I would question.  Should I still use that towel, is it clean?  Can I use my fingers to pack the peaches?  Did any flies get in my jars while they were sitting out?  We're having a bit of a late season fly population.  Also, not really knowing which size jars to use, I unknowingly bought two different shaped jars, so could only can 5 jars at a time, instead of 7.

So that's about where I stopped, 5 jars.  They turned out beautiful, if not a bit underfilled, but better that  than overfilled, as I understand it.  But my goodness, for 5 jars, I spent hours (with some interruptions when the kids woke) canning.  5 jars of peaches.  FIVE JARS.

And I still had quite a lot of peaches left.  So I decided to make some peach freezer jam.  And that took me about 1 hour, including "processing time" where it sits on the counter for 30 minutes.  Much easier.  And yummy, too!  And we still have some peaches to enjoy fresh.

Bottom line?  If they turn out yummy, I'll probably do it again next year.  The kids will be older and I'll know to dedicate more time.  And I'll have one canning experience under my belt.  Only, I won't know how they turned out for many months.  Since I only have 5 jars, I feel like I need to horde them away for a really special occasion or for the deep, dark days of winter.  So, sometime in, say, February (if I can really wait that long), expect to see a follow-up on how the peaches turned out.  That, or my trip to the ER from botulism.

6 comments:

Connor Clan said...

Kim,

We need to do this together while the boys watch the kids. It really is easier with 2 people. We did about of the large jars last year and we are all out.

Darlene

Connor Clan said...

And that should say 20. We did 20 large jars last year.

The Loidhamer Family said...

I will never understand the "putting up" of food in this day and age. You would think I'd be into it, what with my garden and my Martha Stewart tendencies, but alas. I tried blanching and freezing green beans last year and it was definitely the last year I will ever do that!

Laura said...

I made peach jam too, but agreed, with the peeling and slicing, it took me at least an hour - for 3 jars! Doubt I'll do it again. Although, it was really yummy.

Mine wasn't freezer jam though - or they didn't say it was. It expired after 3 mo. in the fridge.

Can you list your recipe? If I do get crazy enough to try again, would prefer to do freezer jam.

Am impressed with your activities!

PerryBlog said...

Darlene- yes, I'd love to do some canning with a friend. That might make it more bearable, Lori! Laura- I used the same Ball recipe as I did for the raspberry jam. http://perryfamblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/recipes-of-sahm-raspberry-freezer-jam.html

PerryBlog said...

That is awesome. One degree of separation via the blog-world!