A story of bravery, new adventure and friendship...
Kyla had her first dentist appointment today. (gasp!) I know, she almost has all her teeth and she hasn't been to the dentist yet! Fortunately, she has no cavities and her teeth look pretty good.
Kyla has a 'Dora goes to the dentist' story that she loves. During the summer she came with me and Jedd to our dentist appointment. For weeks afterward, she would make us read her the story and she would interject tidbits here and there about when she went to the dentist with us. It even inspired her to have me floss her teeth and is still one of her favorite bedtime stories.
I started prepping her a couple days ago, for her upcoming appointment. However, when it came time for her very own visit to the dentist, she was a little less enthusiastic about the whole thing. Despite several declarations over the past days of "I no wanna see the dentist," she didn't cry or throw a fit.
We arrived and, skeptically, she allowed me to lead her to exam area with the hygienist. First stop - pick out a toothbrush - these people are smart! (She chose a purple one, like Dora does in the story.) Then to 'the chair' where there was a movie playing and she was shown a stuffed dinosaur with lots of teeth. She got to brush the dinosaur's teeth and learn how all the instruments worked on him. She loved it. And she tolerated the hygienist brushing her teeth, flossing, polishing and scraping (at least for a short while, since she got to wear Tigger sunglasses). Next were the x-rays, to which she carted her dinosaur and sunglasses and breezed through - sticker for that! Then we had to wait a while for Dr. Rama, during which time she kept saying, "I ready go now." (Warning! Meltdown to follow!) While the dentist spoke with me, Kyla was allowed another special treat, sticker earrings (meltdown averted)! Then it was time for the dentist to look at her teeth and apply fluoride, which by that point, Dr. Rama had to do while Kyla was standing. By then, she was ready to leave! But, I was so proud that she made it through the entire process.
Once out in lobby, she showed Daddy and Baby Maxx all of her fun stuff and danced around a bit while we packed up. Then she approached a 5-ish year old girl playing a handheld game, leaned over the ottoman to within about 4 inches of her face and proudly said, "Hi! I open my mouth really wide for the dentist!" The little girl kind of opened her eyes wider (as if to say a sarcastic 'wow'), but didn't make eye contact with Kyla or reply. Kyla was not deterred by the cool reception. She then stood up, opened her jacket and said, "I have a pretty pink dress." In response, the girl stood also, opened her jacket and said, "I have new clothes, too." It was quite humorous to see these two little girls, flashing their outfits opposite one another! Ah, yes! The common bonds of fashion turn young strangers into fast friends.
3 comments:
Smart girl. Always show off your new cute clothes to the other girls. I'm glad she did well at the dentist.
That's awesome.
that's s very cute story and good job to Kyla, her first good experience with the dentist is so important!
Post a Comment